Michael Coren

Words can hurt, but abortions do kill

If you know anything about Ann Coulter you will know that she adores controversy and likes nothing more than to annoy her critics—and that’s exactly what occurred earlier this year. After the final Presidential debate in October she tweeted, “I highly approve of Romney’s decision to be kind and gentle to the retard.” It was pretty silly and largely pointless, but it pales in comparison to the abuse and filth thrown at conservatives and Christians by leftists and atheists on a regular basis.

That emotional cripple Dan Savage, for example—who ironically began the It Gets Better Campaign to allegedly stop gay bullying—devoted an entire chunk of his sordid life working to link former Senator Rick Santorum’s name to an internet definition of excrement mixed with semen; if you doubt me, look it up. He then blackmailed Santorum saying that if the politician donated lots of money to one of Savage’s favourite causes, he’d stop the hate campaign against Santorum and his family. Yet Savage is still lauded as a caring, loving activist.

During the 2008 Presidential Election, one well-known left-wing comic called for Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin to be gang raped, and there were numerous jokes made about killing her Down syndrome baby. Hypocrisy, thy name is leftism.

But let’s discuss that Down syndrome issue a little more. Palin was mocked and even condemned for giving birth to a baby with Down syndrome, even by fairly mainstream commentators. This was intensely vile and acutely horrible, but was met with very little response from the mainstream. But after Ann Coulter made her trivial, if unfortunate, comments, John Franklin Stephens, a thirty-year-old man with Down syndrome and someone who has worked to compete at the Special Olympics, attacked Coulter for using what he saw as hateful language.

“After I saw your tweet, I realized you just wanted to belittle the president by linking him to people like me,” he wrote. “You assumed that people would understand and accept that being linked to someone like me is an insult and you assumed you could get away with it and still appear on TV. I have to wonder if you considered other hateful words but recoiled from the backlash. Well, Ms. Coulter, you, and society, need to learn that being compared to people like me should be considered a badge of honour. No one overcomes more than we do and still loves life so much.”

Well written, sir, and genuinely moving and heartfelt. Words describing the handicapped are often used to denigrate, and it’s unfair and damaging. But just hold on one little politically correct moment. As much as Coulter should have been more empathetic in what she said, she didn’t kill anybody, did she. Can the same be said about Barack Obama, his people, his followers, his words, and his ideas? Obama and his ilk and ideology advocate and legislate open and funded abortion, which has led to a culture in North America and Europe where people like you, good Mr. Stephens, have around a 10% chance of ever being born. You see, almost 90% of unborn children in the womb who are detected as being likely, not even certain, to have Down syndrome, are killed, thrown away, dumped. So as much as I admire your eloquence and understand and appreciate your anger, you are simply reacting to the wrong provocation and the wrong provocateur, and are a victim of a liberal culture than blames the good for the crimes of the evil.

Ann Coulter pushes buttons with comments and statements, but her opponents advocate and operate death policies and slaughter centres. Coulter would fight for a Down syndrome person’s right to life, but maybe offend some of them with what she says. Her detractors would smile in smug complacency and self-righteous indulgence as Down syndrome boys and girls were murdered, and then congratulate themselves on being so offended by words like “retard.” Words can hurt. But abortions do kill. Every moment, every day, everywhere. Catholics, evangelicals, pro-lifers, and their allies fight for the lives of the handicapped and the disabled, while atheists, socialists, liberals, and their friends campaign to make sure such people are never born. God bless you Mr. Stephens, but be grateful that you ever had the chance to be offended and to write a letter in the first place. Many never have that opportunity.

Copyright © 2016 Catholic Insight Magazine. All rights reserved.   |   Developed by [w-i] in association with TrueMedia   |   Subscribe RSS